Sabbath May 19, 2011 - "The Sabbath
was made for Man"
-Based on Mar 2:27
1. Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
· In order to understand the verse we need to ask ourselves, in what order was the two created?
· Man was NOT made after the Sabbath.
· Man was NOT designed to accommodate the Sabbath. The Sabbath was not made yet.
· Man was made FIRST.
· The Sabbath was made for mans needs.
· NOT man for the Sabbath.
· The Sabbath was given unto you: you have NOT been given unto the Sabbath.
· If the Sabbath was made for man then it was given to Adam as Adam was a man.
2. Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
· The Lord rested in His accomplishment with happiness of His finished work as Creator.
3. Joh 1:3 All things were made by him (Jesus); and without him was not any thing made that was made.
· Since all things were made by Jesus, then that means the 7th day was made by Jesus also.
4. Mar 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
· The Sabbath is the Lord’s Day.
· All power has been given unto Him in heaven and on earth (Mat 28:18).
5. Psa 111:4 He hath made his wonderful works to be remembered:
· So we have a Day that God created for man, and we were created for His pleasure (Rev 4:11). In creating the Sabbath the Lord has given us a day so that we may reflect upon all His wonderful works.
6. Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
· The Sabbath is God’s sign of authority.
· The Hebrew word for Sabbath is Shabbath.
· Sha = eternal One.
· Ab is the root word for Abba, which = Father.
· Bath or Beth = house of, or sign of.
· Sign of the Eternal Father.
· The forth commandment requires TIME.
· In all of the 10 commandments it’s only the 4th that allows a 24 hr interval for a developing relationship.
· Free Dictonary.com “A period at one's disposal:”
To have a relationship with another you must have “TIME” to share into an experience. If you want to dedicate yourself to someone then you will need a period of time where you can remove yourself from all secular activities, and dedicate time to another.
7. Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
· In keeping them we show Him that we love Him. In keeping the 4th we keep and preserve a relationship with Him.
· You can’t become a Bride without a relationship.
· Time = Love.
· When we keep His 7th Day His Sabbath, we are preparing ourselves to grow into a certain character that will carry over during the rest of the week.
· On His day what do we do to show our Love for Him? What do we sacrifice? Our own pleasures.
8. Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
Isa 58:14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.
· So as we continue our date with the Lord every end of week we should halt from doing our customs, cease from personal entertainments, and refrain from speaking of our own words.
· Let’s examine a couple of the words.
a. “Thine own ways” = strongs # H1870
H1870דּרך Derek deh'-rek
From H1869; a road (as trodden); figuratively a course of life or mode of action, often adverbially: - along, away, because of, + by, conversation, custom, [east-] ward, journey, manner, passenger, through, toward, [high-] [path-] way [-side], whither [-soever].
· Set aside your daily ritual events and give Him your attention.
b. “Thine own pleasure” = strongs # H2656
חפץ chêphets khay'-fets
From H2654; pleasure; hence (abstractly) desire; concretely a valuable thing; hence (by extension) a matter (as something in mind): - acceptable, delight (-some), desire, things desired, matter, pleasant (-ure), purpose, willingly.
· Set aside your desire for Him, just this one day and give Him your undivided Time.
· The Sabbath was set aside for holy use.
· Are we to stay at home listening to sermons all day on the Sabbath? Remember “He made His wonderful works to be remembered.”
· Enjoy the time outdoors with your spouse, and children reflecting upon nature, and His creations.
· Hand out tracts
· Nature walks
· Sabbath was a memorial of His creation
· Visit the sick
· Help the needy
9. Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
· Our Creator has so much Love for humanity.
10.Mar 3:4 And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.
· Uniquely on the Sabbath… Love takes precedence over all selfish ways and pleasures that you may have during the rest of the week.
11. Eze 20:12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
· So God gave us His Sabbath as a sign between Him and us (our relationship), so that we should know He has separated (sanctify) us as His people.