Sabbath June 30, 2012 - "The Better Promise"
· · At free dictionary.com it defines a covenant as such.
1. A binding agreement; a compact. See Synonyms at bargain.
a. A formal sealed agreement or contract.
b. A suit to recover damages for violation of such a contract.
3. In the Bible, God's promise to the human race.
v. cov·e·nant·ed, cov·e·nant·ing, cov·e·nants
To promise by or as if by a covenant.
To enter into a covenant.
1. Exo 19:1 In the third month, when the children of Israel were gone forth out of the land of Egypt, the same day came they into the wilderness of Sinai.
· As our Creator lead Israel out of their bondage in Egypt, some 3 months later they now find themselves at the wilderness of Sinai.
2. Exo 19:3 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
Exo 19:4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.
· Now notice that prior to speaking His law to the children of Israel God wanted to make a covenant with them.
3. Exo 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
Exo 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
· So Moses now goes and speaks to the children of Israel those words of the Lord.
4. Exo 19:7 And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him.
Exo 19:8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.
· The Children of Israel all answered together and said “All that the LORD hath spoken we will do”. The one thing we should note here is that this was done prior to the LORD speaking His Law to the people. So we see the Covenant is not the law, but has something to do with the law. It was an agreement between the Lord and His people.
5. Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
6. Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
· After the agreement between the people God spoke the law and wrote them with His very finger on two tablets of stone.
7. Exo 24:4 And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.
Exo 24:5 And he sent young men of the children of Israel, which offered burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen unto the LORD.
Exo 24:6 And Moses took half of the blood, and put it in basons; and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar.
Exo 24:7 And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient.
· We see the audience of the people repeat “All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient.” (Exo 24:7) Obedience is always the key.
8. Exo 32:7 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go, get thee down; for thy people, which thou broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves:
Exo 32:8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.
· They worshipped a beast which was decorated of gold.
· The principles of the first covenant were “Do, obey and live.”
9. Eze 20:11 And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them.
· It was not the law that was faulty, but the fault was with fleshly minded men.
10. Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
· We see the new covenant being spoken of as a “better covenant”. Better than the Old covenant, and established on better promises.
· “God’s law is Perfect, Holy, Just, and Good!” (Psalms 19:7, Romans 7:12).
· Something cannot be faulty, but yet be perfect, holy, just, and good all at the same time.
11. Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
· Our Lord kept His end of the agreement, but the fault was on the end of sinful men who could not keep their part.
12. Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith
the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
· Paul makes this statement where he says the old was ready to vanish away.
13. Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
14. Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
· Can you establish something that has been vanished away at the same time? Wisdom tells us no. (Proverbs 2:6) “ The Lord giveth wisdom.” The old promise the old covenant/agreement was what was fading away in Hebrews 8:13 and NOT the 10 Commandments.
· In reading Hebrews chapter 8 verses 6-13 we will see our better promise is now established through Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. The old covenant that was established between God and a sinful people is now established by Jesus Christ, and satisfied by the Father on High.
· The promise is now given to Spiritual Israel, and NOT the lineage of Abraham. Jesus is the Mediator of a better covenant/better promise.
15. Rom 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
Rom 9:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
· In the better promise we are all cleansed from our transgressions of His law by the blood of Jesus Christ upon the cross of Calvary.
· In this new covenant, which Jesus is the Mediator of is how it is established upon “better promises.”
· A promise that through His blood you can be forgiven of all your sins, and cleansed from all unrighteousness.
· A promise that His grace given to all who accept Jesus will be given the Holy Spirit to renew every heart to be in harmony when we “come boldly unto the throne of grace.” (Heb 4:16).
16. Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
17. Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
· This new birth by the Holy Spirit will now allow us to bring on the fruits of the Spirit.
· When God’s Holy Perfect law was written on stone it served as an instrument of condemnation and pointed out sin.
18. Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
· By walking in His Spirit this now brings on that power of victory and perfection.
19. 2Co 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
· By the Spirit of the Lord the “righteousness of the law” is fulfilled in us who walk “after the Spirit.”
20. Psa 119:97 MEM. O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
· Each day as we meditate upon His Law and His Word, the righteousness of His law is being fulfilled in each and every one of us with a renewed heart that walk after the Spirit.
· Jesus is the Mediator and Minister in the work of redemption.
· The Holy Spirit is our Saviours representative in this fallen world, to carry out the divine goal and function of bringing to the fallen state and nature of humanity the power from on High, so that man may repent and find victory from their defiled characters.
21. Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
· As Jesus fulfilled the law for us and every repentant sinner and believer forgiveness is now guaranteed by the sacrifice of Christ in our behalf.
22. Isa 56:5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.