Sabbath, December 03, 2011 - "The Richman and Lazarus Parable" part 2
1. Mat 27:24 When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it. 25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.
In 70 A.D. the Roman army led by the warrior Titus came
The Edict of Expulsion of 1290. This is where all Jews were expelled from
1288, the first mass burning of Jews on the stake took place in
The Holocaust of Nazi
Today the Jews are still being persecuted by the Muslims
2. Act 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
His blood has ever since been upon that generation of people.
3. Rev 6:15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; 16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
· Luk 16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
In accepting his fate the rich man prays again to Abraham calling him his father. Notice he really leans on Abraham because of his lineage. Also notice it was like he was saying his brothers weren’t fully given evidence.
· Luk 16:28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
Now let’s look at the 5 brothers.
4. Gen 29:35 And she
conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD:
therefore she called his name
5. Gen 35:23 The sons of Leah; Reuben, Jacob's firstborn, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun:
His Word has shown you that the identity of the rich man is symbolically the Jewish nation. Notice also the rich man is saying that the lack of being warned is why he is there. “lest they also”.
· Luk 16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
Abrahams reply to his cry is that yes they have been fully warned. Proper Light was poured to them (brothers), but they by choice became blind. Evidence of truth was given, but they refused to listen, and became deaf in hearing.
6. Joh 5:45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
In Jesus earthly ministry we can see the blindness of the Pharisees and the Jewish leaders, as Moses did write about Him in (Deu. 18:15, 18).
7. Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
· Luk 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
In their blindness this very statement showed to be true as Jesus last miracle to them was the raising of Lazarus of Bethany. Four days later after Lazarus was dead Jesus raised Lazarus, but just like pharaoh of the Old Testament they harden their hearts, and refused the Light of evidence.
8. Luk 11:44 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are as graves which appear not, and the men that walk over them are not aware of them.
They teach the commandments of men and many were so unaware that teaching leads to eternal destruction. We are not to put our trust in men, or the traditions of men.
9. Mat 23:27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. 28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. 29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, 30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets. 32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. 33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell? 34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city: 35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar. 36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
10. Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Not only refused Him, but they sought to kill Him. (John 12;9-11). Notice the parable comes to an abrupt end. It kind of reminds me that probation comes abruptly to those who seek self.
· Luk 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
The law and the prophets is what God appointed for them for salvation. The parable concludes with this saying…As they did not listen to Moses and the prophets, why would they believe the witness of one that rose from the dead? The raising of Lazarus could not persuade them, or the resurrection of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
11. 1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
12. 2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
There is no sin in being rich. Sin is developed when you forget God.